Updated on May 18, 2020.
At Dobility, we recognize that the evolving impact of COVID-19 is rapidly changing the world as we know it and the way our users work. We are in awe of all of our users, colleagues, and the entire global community of practitioners who are working tirelessly on the frontlines to collect data that helps to address the needs of vulnerable and at-risk communities across the world. You can read Dobility’s full response to the COVID-19 pandemic here.
Amidst these challenges, we’re helping our users adjust and still deliver on their projects by quickly expanding the flexibility and capabilities of the SurveyCTO platform and providing capacity-building resources. We also recognize that our users who want to join the fight against COVID-19 might be in need of funding to do so. This article presents funding opportunities and free services for projects developing responses to COVID-19, as well as funding requests from international development organizations. We’ll be updating this list on an ongoing basis. If you’d like to contribute to this list, or if you have any questions, please contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Funding opportunities and free services
Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL)
- Description: J-PAL has a number of initiatives that have opened dedicated off-cycle rounds to fund research by J-PAL affiliates and invited researchers that will generate rapid, actionable insights that can help inform policy responses to the pandemic.
- More information: J-PAL website
Amazon Web Services $20 million for customers working on diagnostics solutions.
- Description: Through the AWS Diagnostic Development Initiative (DDI), AWS is committing an initial investment of $20 million to accelerate diagnostic research, innovation, and development to speed our collective understanding and detection of COVID-19 and other innovative diagnostic solutions to mitigate future infectious disease outbreaks.
- More information: AWS Diagnostic Development Initiative (DDI)
American Economic Association (AEA)
- Description: The AEAweb provides information on funding for economists and the opportunity for organizations, institutions, and agencies to post information on grants available for economic research.
- More information: AEAweb
Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Initiative to Speed Development and Access to Therapies for COVID-19
- Description: The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Wellcome, and Mastercard committed up to $125 million in seed funding to speed-up the response to the COVID-19 epidemic by identifying, assessing, developing, and scaling-up treatments.
- More information: Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation website
Boston Foundation COVID-19 Response Fund
- Description: Hosted by the Boston Foundation, the COVID-19 Response Fund will award one-time operating grants on a rolling basis to non-profits whose operations in support of seniors, children, immigrants, workers, and other vulnerable populations have been stressed by the outbreak. The Fund is designed to be adaptable in its goals and focus, which will evolve as community members and nonprofits in the region share their needs.
- More information: Boston Foundation website
Center for Disaster Philanthropy (CDP) COVID-19 Response Fund
- Description: The CDP COVID-19 Response Fund will focus on supporting nonprofit organizations working directly to respond to the pandemic among the most vulnerable populations in order to help build their capacity for response.
- More information: Center for Disaster Philanthropy
Center for the Advancement of Social Entrepreneurship (CASE) at Duke University
- Description: The Center for the Advancement of Social Entrepreneurship (CASE) at Duke University’s Fuqua School of Business launched a comprehensive, searchable database for global, national, and regional capital sources for nonprofit and for profit entrepreneurs at risk due to COVID-19. The resource lists grants, loans, tax credits, and other cash equivalents that can help with capital needs during this crisis.
- More information: Covidcap.com
Chester County Community foundation
- Description: The Community Foundation’s COVID-19 Rapid Response Fund provides flexible resources to Chester County nonprofits that are disproportionately impacted by coronavirus and the economic consequences of this outbreak.
- More information: Chester County Community foundation website
Cisco Webex free access
- Description: Cisco has extended the capability available on free Webex Meetings accounts in all countries where this service is available to help users impacted by COVID-19 and others. Webex Meeting is an online meeting and conferencing platform.
- More information: Webex website
Council on Foundations COVID-19 Response Funds
- Description: The Council on Foundations has created a list of global response funds and funding opportunities related to COVID-19 relief to benefit the public. The list was compiled from publicly available information and users with funding opportunities can complete a submission form to be added to the list.
- More information: COVID-19 Foundation Response Funds
COVID-19 Funding for NGOs in India
- Description: Tamuku has a portal compiling COVID-19 funding opportunities for NGOs in India. NGO practitioners can also sign up to be alerted of new funding opportunities daily, for a small fee.
- More information: COVID-19 Funds for NGOs Portal
- Description: Elsevier has launched a Novel Coronavirus Information Center with free health and medical research on the novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) and COVID-19. The resource includes expert, curated information for the research and health community on SARS-CoV-2 (the novel coronavirus) and COVID-19 (the disease). All resources are free to access and include guidelines for clinicians and patients.
- More information: Elsevier’s Novel Coronavirus Information Center
- Description: Frontiers has launched the Coronavirus Funding Monitor to help connect COVID-19 research with funding. The resource provides a curated list of open funding calls and other support for researchers, non-profit organizations, and commercial organizations, specifically for COVID-19 and coronavirus-related research. This resource is updated daily.
- More information: Frontiers Coronavirus Funding Monitor
Grants to USA Nonprofits in Multiple States for Coronavirus (COVID-19) Assistance in Eligible Communities
- Description: Grants to USA nonprofit organizations in multiple states for COVID-19 assistance in communities in the funding source’s service area. Priority will be given to nonprofit organizations providing direct service to clients impacted by the Coronavirus.
- More information: Grant Watch
Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
- Description: The Office of Research Strategy and Development at the Harvard School of Public Health has a list COVID-19 resources for researchers including federal funding resources for research on COVID-19 as well as internal and non-federal funding resources for research on COVID-19.
- More information: Harvard School of Public Health website
IBM Call for Code COVID-19 Global Challenge
- Description: IBM has expanded its 2020 Call for Code Global Challenge to include a response to the global COVID-19 outbreak. Through this initiative, IBM is calling developers, data scientists and students to develop solutions that address crisis communication, remote education, and community cooperation in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, for a chance to win funding and IBM developer support.
- More information: IBM 2020 Call for Code
ICTworks Funding Opportunities
- Description: ICTworks provides a frequently updated list of funding opportunities for ICT4D projects in international development and digital development worldwide. You can also subscribe to get funding opportunity updates via email every week.
- More information: ICTworks website
In-kind Grants to USA, Canada, and International Research Institutions and Private Entities for Research Related to COVID-19
- Description: In-kind grants of credits and technical support to USA, Canada, and International research institutions, consortia, and private entities for research related to COVID-19/Coronavirus. Grants are intended to assist with the development of point-of-care diagnostic (testing).
- More information: Grant Watch
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA)
- Description: As part of the RECOVR initiative, which is a panel research project focusing on the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic on vulnerable communities, IPA launched the RECOVR Research Hub with a funding opportunities page. The page lists funding opportunities available for research and other COVID-19-related projects and is updated weekly.
- More information: RECOVR Funding Opportunities
Johns Hopkins University
- Description: The Johns Hopkins University Office of the Vice Provost for Research (VPR) has a list of funding opportunities specific to COVID-19. The list is updated as new opportunities arise.
- More information: COVID-19 Funding Opportunities
NVIDIA Gives COVID-19 Researchers Free Access to Parabricks
- Description: In response to the current pandemic, NVIDIA is sharing tools with researchers that can accelerate their race to understand the novel coronavirus and help inform a response. NVIDIA is providing a free 90-day license to Parabricks to any researcher in the worldwide effort to fight the novel coronavirus. Based on the well-known Genome Analysis Toolkit, Parabricks uses GPUs to accelerate by as much as 50x the analysis of sequence data.
- More information: NVIDIA website
Penn State Health
- Description: The Research Development and the Research Concierge Service at Penn State College of Medicine have developed a list of funding opportunities for investigators interested in research projects related to COVID-19.
- More information: Funding for COVID-19 research available to investigators
Private Enterprise Development in Low-Income Countries
- Description: The Private Enterprise Development in Low-Income Countries (PEDL) research initiative has announced an open call for special COVID-19 exploratory research grant (ERG) proposals. Applicants working on research projects that seek to study the economic impacts of the COVID-19 outbreak in developing countries are invited to apply before the June 1, 2020 deadline.
- More information: Private Enterprise Development in Low-Income Countries website
Save the Children’s COVID-19 Learning Pathway
- Description: The COVID-19 Learning Pathway aims to enable humanitarians, including local responders, to be best equipped to respond to the global COVID-19 pandemic. This resource is an open access for partners and local responders and it contains online technical capacity strengthening programmes, soft skills and remote working capacity strengthening programmes and a library of key downloadable resources.
- More information: COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Learning Pathway
Seattle Foundation COVID-19 Response Fund
- Description: Housed at Seattle Foundation, the Fund makes grants to nonprofits that are working on the frontlines to provide our region’s most vulnerable communities with emergency assistance, such as financial support, healthcare, and childcare.
- More information: Seattle Foundation
- Description: To assist health workers and researchers working under challenging conditions to bring the COVID-19 outbreak to a close, The Lancet has created a Coronavirus Resource Centre. This resource brings together new 2019 novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) content from across The Lancet journals as it is published. All of the COVID-19 content is free to access.
- More Information: The Lancet COVID-19 Resource Centre
University of North Carolina At Chapel Hill (UNC)
- Description: The Office of Research Development at UNC has a list of funding opportunities related to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), with more information added as they become available.
- More information: The University Of North Carolina At Chapel Hill funding opportunities
- Description: Walmart and the Walmart Foundation announced a $25 million commitment on March 17 to support organizations on the frontlines responding to COVID-19. The money will be distributed in a series of grants, each furthering the capacity of organizations to help communities affected by the pandemic.
- More information: Walmart foundation website
Yale Economic Growth Center
- Description: The Yale Economic Growth Center has a curated listing of COVID-19-related research grants for researchers working in international development.
- More information: Yale Economic Growth Center website
Calls to action and funding requests
- Description: CARE is quickly mounting a global response to the COVID-19 pandemic – which threatens to overwhelm healthcare resources, particularly in countries with weak public health infrastructures. In India, they are leveraging our past experience responding to outbreaks of infectious disease in vulnerable communities – taking particular note that emergencies, including health crises, tend to disproportionately affect women and girls.
- More information: CARE India website
Education for Employment (EFE)
- Description: EFE is asking for help as they respond to support vulnerable youth whose livelihoods and futures are at risk. A few months ago, they launched the Catalyst Fund to support strategic objectives that include online training for youth as well as innovation, technology and operations. COVID-19 has led to the need to accelerate that timeline.
- More information: Education for Employment website
Food For The Poor
- Description: Food For The Poor is one of the largest international relief and development organizations in the US and it serves vulnerable populations in 17 countries of the Caribbean and Latin America. In response to the COVID-19 outbreak, the organization is providing much needed medical supplies and food to where it is most needed. Donations are requested to help further this work.
- More information: Food For The Poor website
- Description: The spread of the COVID-19 virus has reached 20 of the 21 countries where Heifer International works. For the families they serve, the new and changing reality of the COVID-19 outbreak could mean not being able to earn an income, or feed their children. They need help to support these families and gifts will be matched — doubling the support they can provide.
- More information: Heifer International website
Humanity and Inclusion
- Description: Although Europe is now the epicenter of the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic, the virus continues to spill across continents and countries, causing widespread disarray. The number of affected people increases daily by the thousands. Given this unprecedented and dramatic situation, Humanity & Inclusion is taking special measures to protect its teams, maintain its operational capabilities, and continue assisting the most vulnerable.
- More information: Humanity and Inclusion website
- Description: As part of the Call to Funders for Technology Support announced in partnership with NTEN and the Technology Association of Grantmakers (TAG), NetHope announced a $60 million Global Aid Technology Response and Recovery Fund. In the face of COVID-19, this fund has identified $30 million in technology needs for recovery among NGOs globally and $30 million for digital transformation projects.
- More information: Global Aid Technology Response and Recovery Fund
- Description: Now more than ever, the world’s poorest communities are at great risk. As coronavirus escalates, millions of people who are already suffering in extreme poverty – often living in cramped conditions with poor hygiene and limited healthcare – desperately need help to stay safe. We’re helping people minimize the risk of infection by providing them with accurate information and advice in local languages. Our teams are delivering soap, sanitation services including hand washing facilities, and clean water to those most at risk. This lifesaving work is only possible with you. Help vulnerable families in the fight against coronavirus today.
- More information: Oxfam website
- Description: Plan International is appealing for donations for its response to COVID-19, which will include support for the most vulnerable children around the world. The organization plans work with communities, governments and partners to tackle the spread of COVID-19 by sharing public health information, promoting best hygiene practices and installing hand-washing facilities. Furthermore, in refugee camps where the organization currently works, they working to intensify support and preventative measures.
- More information: Plan International website
Save the Children
- Description: As the COVID-19 outbreak spread, Save the Children mobilized immediately to provide support for children and health teams worldwide. The organization is now appealing for donations to help support schools and community programs that feed children who are mostly affected by this pandemic.
- More information: Save the Children website