The ability to read and understand written text is one of the most fundamental skills. Yet in many countries, children enrolled in school for as many as six years are unable to do so. The Early Grade Reading Assessment (EGRA) offers a low-cost and effective way to measure literacy that can easily be adapted to different countries and languages. And now, EGRA can be effectively deployed on SurveyCTO, along with SurveyCTO’s data quality and security features.
In this webinar, we present SurveyCTO’s new EGRA support and we turn things over to Room to Read, a global NGO and leader in executing EGRA that seeks to transform the lives of millions of children in low-income communities by focusing on literacy and gender equality.
Here are some examples of what we discussed:
- Room to Read’s experience in promoting literacy and approach for running EGRA across various tools.
- Room to Read’s response to adapting work in the context of COVID-19.
- How to execute EGRA subtasks using field plug-ins on SurveyCTO, such as letter identification, familiar word reading, nonword reading, and oral reading fluency with comprehension.
The SurveyCTO field plug-in for EGRA functionality is in beta, which means that it works well but is still undergoing some changes. Explore this Support Center guidance for an overview video and more information on how to use it for administering EGRA.
- Presentation slide deck
- Room to Read’s Literacy Program
- Room to Read’s Girl’s Edu Program
- Room to Read’s Literacy Cloud (a virtual library for children, teachers, parents, and other stakeholders to promote the habit of reading in children using local language books)
- EGRA Toolkit – 2nd Edition (2016)
- SurveyCTO guide for administering the Early Grade Reading Assessment (EGRA)
- Early Grade Mathematics Assessment (EGMA) Toolkit (2014)
- SurveyCTO guide for administering the Early Grade Mathematics Assessment (EGMA)
- SurveyCTO field plug-ins guide
This webinar was brought to you by the Safe People + Data Initiative, led by Dobility, the makers of SurveyCTO, to provide methodologies and resources for safer data collection, in response to new challenges arising from the COVID-19 pandemic and the growing need for safety-focused innovation. Join the initiative’s mailing list to receive updates on new events and resources.
New to SurveyCTO? Sign up for a free trial today to explore the platform. During the 15-day trial, you’ll have access to the entire platform.