School closures have been shown to lead to increases in dropout rates and long-term health risks. To prevent this during the COVID-19 pandemic, Young 1ove, one of the largest youth NGOs in Botswana, quickly pivoted from delivering in-person educational programs to remotely teaching students and assessing their learning.
In this webinar, leadership at Young 1ove share valuable lessons on using new tools and retraining staff to maintain service delivery during closures and lockdowns. This webinar is brought to by the Safe People + Data Initiative, led by Dobility, the makers of SurveyCTO, to provide methodologies and resources for safer data collection, in response to new challenges arising from the COVID-19 pandemic and the growing need for safety-focused innovation.
Here are some examples of what was discussed:
- Quick mobilization to collect and vet beneficiary phone numbers.
- Redesign of programs from in-person to remote delivery.
- Selection of remote service delivery and evaluation tools, such as bulk SMS services, phone surveying software, and mobile data collection tools (e.g., SurveyCTO).
- Remote staff training on how to use new digital tools.
Young 1ove also discussed how it’s using its work to propose principles for phone-based assessments of learning. Read this overview of its approach to learn more. To learn more about conducting phone surveys, or computer-assisted telephone interviewing (CATI), explore the CATI starter kit, which offers an automated and scalable approach to using SurveyCTO as a CATI solution.
- Presentation slide deck
- Stemming learning loss during the pandemic: A rapid randomized trial of a low-tech intervention in Botswana
- Practical lessons for phone-based assessments of learning
- Documentation on the early release version of SurveyCTO Collect
- Best practices for configuring and securing enumerator devices with SurveyCTO
- Webinar on decentralized data collection with SurveyCTO
- Video overview of SurveyCTO Collect call management capabilities
- SMS integrations connected to SurveyCTO: (1) “Launch-sms” field plug-in and (2) Guide to creating automated systems with Zapier
New to SurveyCTO? Sign up for a free trial today to explore the platform. During the 15-day trial, you’ll have access to the entire platform.