In-person interviews and observations are a vital means of data collection, as much of the world’s most critical data comes from remote areas with limited literacy and connectivity. However, as projects adapt to the enduring challenges of COVID-19, safer methods of onboarding, training, and supervising team members are more important than ever.
To meet this need, we’ve expanded SurveyCTO’s functionality to support decentralized data collection operations and systematically reduce the need for travel and in-person interactions. This functionality includes the ability to remotely and securely set up devices (even if they’re personal devices), train enumerators, and supervise their work. In this webinar, we demonstrate how to use SurveyCTO for decentralized data collection, including remote onboarding, training, and accompaniment of enumerators.
Here are some examples of what we discussed:
- Remote onboarding: With new quick setup and device security features on the mobile app SurveyCTO Collect and the server console, enumerators can be onboarded faster and more securely—even when using personal, unmanaged devices.
- Remote training: By using field plug-ins that fully customize survey forms, training videos for enumerators can be embedded into SurveyCTO forms. Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) have developed this plug-in for their own training efforts using SurveyCTO. Refer to this Support Center guidance for more remote training options.
- Remote accompaniment: SurveyCTO forms can be configured to call supervisors or monitors before interviews begin. These remote accompaniers can share comments and advice before and after the interview and listen in on the interview itself. Check out this Support Center article for details.
- Presentation slide deck
- Decentralized deployment guide
- Documentation on the early release version of SurveyCTO Collect
- Documentation on user roles
- Remote CATI training guide
- Remote accompaniment guide
Read this overview for more on how SurveyCTO can be used for decentralizing data collection operations. To learn more about conducting phone surveys, explore the CATI starter kit, which offers an automated and scalable approach to using SurveyCTO as a CATI solution. If you need help now, our support team is available 24×7. Go to the Support Center and click on the link to “Submit a support request.” No question is too small.
New to SurveyCTO? Sign up for a free trial today to explore the platform. During the 15-day trial, you’ll have access to the entire platform.