SurveyCTO has led the digital data collection space in developing innovative form design capabilities that both reflect and anticipate your needs. Now, SurveyCTO is offering what no other off-the-shelf mobile data collection tool can: the power to fully customize how your forms look and operate for any project, at any time.
What are field plug-ins?
Plug-ins are a mechanism for extending and customizing a software platform. In SurveyCTO, field plug-ins override the default code that loads when a field in a survey form appears. SurveyCTO field plug-ins work wherever your forms do—whether offline on both Android and iOS mobile devices, or on web forms.
What field plug-ins are available?
We’ve created an initial suite of field plug-ins to address pressing needs and many of our most popular feature requests. You can easily integrate these plug-ins into your forms, as well as modify them to meet your needs. Browse our catalog and take a look below at what some of them can enable you to do:
- Automatically populate the phone dialer application on a device with a phone number stored in a form, ready to be called by the user. This “phone-call” field plug-in is part of our CATI starter kit to help users transition from in-person to telephone surveying.
- Automatically generate SMS messages on a device pre-populated with the message and recipient’s phone number, ready to be sent by the user. This “launch-sms” field plug-in is also part of our CATI starter kit.
- Show an image with clickable regions, and capture which region was selected.
- Set up timed assessments where a timer runs out while answering a question. Additionally, conduct timed assessments and experiments, such as the Early Grade Reading Assessment (EGRA). (Learn more about administering EGRA on SurveyCTO here.)
- Automatically generate SMS messages pre-populated with the message and recipient’s phone number.
- Position checkboxes/radio buttons on the right side of the screen if the form language is a right-to-left language.
We’re actively expanding the catalog, and we’ll include plug-ins created by other SurveyCTO users. Make sure to click on the “Follow” button in the catalog to stay up-to-date on new plug-ins.
How can I create field plug-ins?
Once you’ve developed a plug-in, we ask that you please share the good news with us! And that you also consider sharing your hard work with other SurveyCTO users. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can discuss how to make your plug-in accessible to others.
How can I share feedback?
We plan on continuously adding to and improving upon our suite of plug-ins, so your feedback is important! If you have feedback to share on a field plug-in, we ask that you visit our user forum and post your commentary there. Critical feedback and compliments are welcome!
How can I get help?
For more guidance on using plug-ins, refer to our Support Center guide and product documentation. If you need help and have a paid subscription, feel free to submit a support ticket to our expert support team.